Are you looking for a fun way to engage your child or student this summer? Here is your chance! Denver International Airport (DEN) Academy was developed for students interested in aviation in 7th through 10th grades. Students will get an inside look into the world of aviation through video presentations from DEN professionals and virtual tours, followed by weekly hands-on projects using household objects. The camp will begin on June 22 and end on July 16.
DEN Academy’s core values are centered around:
- KNOWLEDGE: Students acquire knowledge of the inner workings of an airport and specific career paths found at DEN
- EXPLORATION: Students gain an awareness of aviation through direct learning and exploratory activities
- PROBLEM SOLVING: Students develop problem solving skills while exploring real aviation challenges
- STEM PRINCIPLES: Lessons combine Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) disciplines for continued educational development
DEN Academy Details
Participants: Incoming 7th-grade students, 8th-graders, 9th-graders and 10th-graders
Dates: Launch June 22, with one lesson released every Monday through July 16
Location: Virtual camp will be available via email and through Microsoft Teams
How it will Work
- Watch DEN Academy WonderVideo
- Beginning Monday, June 22, and every Monday though July 16, DEN Academy will email a video to student participants. Each video will contain an interview with a DEN professional and a tour of a location at Denver International Airport.
- Complete Creative Project
- The WonderVideos are paired with a fun, aviation-focused project students can complete at home. The projects will correlate with the video theme for the week, while having a Science, Technology, Engineering, and/or Math focus. All project information will be emailed with the video on Mondays.
- DEN Academy Meet-up and Project Share
- Each Thursday, students will have the opportunity to interact with one another through Microsoft Teams. During the one-hour meet up, a DEN Academy staff member will facilitate a student discussion about the video of the week and support students as they share their projects. *Information about the Thursday online meet-ups will be sent prior to the start of DEN Academy.